Ok. So. Here it is.
A good friend of mine talked me into applying for the local elevators union here in the Quad Cities. Actually the local hall is located in Des Moines, IA which is about 3 hours away from me. This is where I’ll have to go to take the test. And interview. And do any other testing/classes that I may need…..
Here are his arguments:
- The money I can make
- That I am a woman (they need woman and other minorities to fill quotas)
- That I have some basic knowledge mechanically
- That I have a brain in my head
He apparently thinks I’m fearless…..
Ok. So. I did it….I’ve put in my application with transcripts and complete and total lack of experience. So now I’m sitting here going – OMG! What did I just get myself into?! They want me to take a test?! On that I haven’t done since I was a teenager (have I mentioned I’m 41)!
Ok. So here are some truths about me….
- I AM NOT FEARLESS! The whole idea of starting over (yet again) scares me spitless.
- Yes I have some basic mechanical knowledge….I at least know what a wrench is lol
- A TEST? ON MECHANICAL S***?! OMG! Most of which I’ve never done and/or if I have it’s been 20+ years….. Yes I took my ASVAB and mechanical was my highest scoring section but that was 23 years ago!
- Quota? Smota! This just means I have to work harder to prove that I can do it (ok so I can handle that – I’ve been doing that most of my life lol) but it also means that walking in people think less of me.
- Lifting 100 pounds – regularly?! Multiple times a day?! I weigh all of 135 pounds…..yep this is gonna hurt lol
- I’m scared of heights….
Ok. So. I guess I have some self-teaching to do. I need to bush up on some math…….Off to the library I go….