My mother has been asking me for weeks to make her Russian Tea Cakes. I finally got to it this Friday after seeing the glaze of ice covering my yard. Mental health day suddenly seemed like a great idea! I looked at a lot of recipe’s and tweaked a bit to make it my own. This is what I came up with.
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar divided plus extra to roll with
- 2 sticks of butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup nuts (I used walnut’s)
- 2 cups of flour
Preheat oven to 325. Cream butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar and vanilla. It should look light and fluffy like frosting when its done. Sift the flour and salt in a separate bowl. Chop the nuts with the remaining sugar until fine. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. When thoroughly combined slowly add in the nut mixture. When combined roll Into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press slightly to barely flatten the bottoms. Bake 18-22 min until the bottoms are lightly browned. Gently roll in powdered sugar and place on wire racks to cool. Once cooled roll again in powdered sugar and put in a sealed container for 3-5 days.
Mom was very pleased and said they were just like she remembered!
Yeah! I got my Christmas present early! Mr. Picky got me a KitchenAide! Hooray! I’m so excited! 🙂 yesterday I made sugar cookies with the Breezy girl (my daughter 🙂 ). She had to finish baking when I had to leave for work (and what do I find when I get home today? Unbanked cookies in the fridge LOL). Anywho I’ll post pics next of the cookies I make this weekend (did I mention I’ve been invited to a cookie bake/exchange this weekend 🙂 ). So I’ll be sure and take lots of pics 😉 and share!
Until next time
Hi all! I am the other half of this new adventure. My name is Lynn and Krista is my cousin/sister/bestest friend ever! I am living in Iowa with my amazing fiancé, mom, and assorted pets.
I have recently discovered that I LOVE to bake, breads, cakes, and cookies are my usual experiments. So far I’ve made quite a few people(oddly enough I don’t eat most of what I make) happy with my care packages!
I have also found that due to the very expensive life we all seem to lead that learning to make homemade cleansers and detergents is the way to go!
I’m hoping to be able to share my recipes for everything I’m working on complete with pictures(crossing my fingers!) just as soon as I can.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie.
By Moore or Less Cooking
We almost all have to go. I regularly refer to it as
hell I mean work ;). We all have similar complaints – my boss sucks; my coworkers suck; I hate my job; etc…. And yes I have those as well. I regularly talk to Lynn on my way into work (and vise versa) and our standard end tag line at the end of the call is ‘time to clock into hell.’ Yes we both hate our jobs 75% of the time. I think that’s why it’s called ‘work’ or a ‘job’ but there are things I like about my job as well.
1) my managers aren’t that bad. I understand that shit runs down hill and by the time it gets to my level it tends to be a bit runny. LOL
2) I like most of my coworkers ( most of the time) – there are even a couple I’m really really glad to have had the opportunity to meet and get to know. 🙂
3) yes I ‘work’ in retail. I get to see people in all their forms – the good, bad, ugly, and sometimes a little scary. 🙂 they are always interesting to watch and occasionally talk to.
4) (and yes I’m reaching a little on this one) I HAVE A JOB!! – I know so many people right now that don’t have one. It makes me grateful that I have some kind of income.
Until next time
P.S. I promise that this blog won't be all lists LOL
Yes I know that this could be considered a few days late but not in my house. We will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow. Working in retail means occasional rescheduling of some celebrations 😉 so tonight I’m getting the early stuff made. The stuffing is all put together – to be baked tomorrow and the apple pies are in the oven so I’m in a bit of a holding pattern for another 40 minutes. Give or take.
While I sit here waiting on the yummy smells to really start 😉 I’m thinking about what is truly important to me. Here is a short list……
1) my kids. They are the reason I breath. The reason I can get up out of bed and keep going. Yes I know that they are getting older and acquiring their own lives but I still see them as my babies. ❤
2) Mr. Picky. Yes I call my boyfriend that. And yes to his face. LOL. I love him almost as much as my kids even when we don't agree. 😉
3) My 4 legged kids. 2 puppies, 3 cats. 1 grand-puppy. They are my snugly babies (AKA my living blanket)
4) Other family and friends.
5) The roof over my head. There are so many who don't have one.
So there is my basic list….. I hope that you have a list that is at least as long and longer.